Printing Glossary of Terms

Halftone. To photograph continuous-tones through a screen to convert the image into dots. The result is also called a halftone and may be either positive or negative and on film or paper.

Halftone dots. Dots that by their varying sizes create the illusion of shading or a continuous-tone image.

Halftone screen. Piece of film containing a grid of lines that breaks light into dots as it passes through.

Half web. Web press whose width and cutoff allow printing eight 8 1/2 x 11 pages on one press sheet.

Hard bind. Alternate term for Case bind.

Hard cover. Bound with a case of binder's board.

Head stops. Adjustable posts on register unit of a press that properly position leading edge of a sheet.

Heat-set web. Web press equipped with oven to make ink dry faster, thus able to print coated paper.

Hickey. Donut-shaped spot or imperfection in printing, most visible in areas of heavy ink coverage.

High-bulk paper. Paper made relatively thick in proportion to its basis weight.

High contrast. Few or no tonal gradations between dark and light areas.

Highlights. The lightest areas in a photograph or halftone.

Holding fee. Charge made to clients who keep photograph longer than agreed to.

Holdout. Alternate term for Ink holdout.

House sheet. General-use paper ordered in large quantities and kept in stock by a printer.

Hypo. Alternate term for Fixer.

 8/26   Fist Pre   6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Next Last
Post a comment

15 Comment More comments »
©2003-2023, ZX China Industrial Ltd. all rights reserved. Terms & conditions.
China: Currency | Unit Converter | Free Fonts | SiteMap | Rss